The Most Fuss Free SIM Card Option in Korea.
Everyone knows that Korea is one of the most connected country in the world, with free wifi hotspots literally everywhere. From shopping malls to cafes and restaurants, you can even get connected to free wifi while walking on the streets! Because of this, many tourists choose not to buy a SIM card when they are in Korea, choosing to rely on these free wifi hotspots instead. However do you know that when you purchase a SIM card such as the prepaid EG SIM Card, you get automatic access to Olleh’s extensive wifi network. All subway stations and trains are covered by wifi, as well as most shopping malls, popular tourist spots, cafes, restaurants, amusement parks and even outdoor events!
EG SIM comes in 4 different plans as shown below.
How the EG Sim card plan works:
- Get the EG SIM card from any GS25 (there is one located at the arrival hall of Incheon International Airport).
- Activate the SIM card. For this you need to have a picture of your passport ready. More information on activation can be found here http://www.egsimcard.co.kr/eng/activate-eg-sim-card/activate.asp. Depending on if you are an Android or iOS user, you might have to follow the following steps on your phone:
- Once activated your SIM card is ready to be used. If you have bought the 1GB card for example, you will get 1GB of data valid for a month plus 10,000KRW worth of voice calls. The data balance will automatically recharge itself once 30 days are up if there are sufficient balance in the card. 1GB goes for 16,500KRW, 2GB is 22,000KRW and 5GB is 40,000KRW.
- If you wish to recharge your data balance but have insufficient value in the SIM card, you can visit at GS25 convenience stores to top up. The money will be added to your existing voice call balance. Going back to the example, you should have 10,000KRW worth of voice call balance if you have bought the 1GB SIM card. By topping up another 10,000KRW(the minimum top up amount), you will now have 20,000KRW of which you can use to pay for the 1GB data top up which will cost you 16,500KRW, leaving you with 3,500KRW for calls. Topping up of data can be done through the app.
How to top up your data through the app:
- Download the app ‘EG SIM Card’ from your respective app store.
- Enter the app and you should see the following page.
- Go to ‘Top Up’ and you should see the following page.
You can also top up your voice call balance with your credit card without having to go to a GS25 store. Simply go to the first option ‘How to recharge voice balance of EG SIM’ and follow the payment instructions.
- To top up your data balance after completing your top up for your voice call balance, go to ‘Application for data plans/Cancellation of data plans’.
- You will be then required to enter your phone number. You should see the following screen after that.
Here, go to ‘Terminating’. You will be required to cancel your current data plan and reapply for the same one to top up. The amount required for the new data plan will be deducted from your current voice call balance.
- Once you have followed the steps to terminating and reapplying for a new data plan, you should receive a SMS to inform you of the top up.
- You’re now all set to use the data on your SIM card!
You can go to https://www.egsimcard.co.kr/eng/myaccount/check-balance-usage.asp or through the EG SIM card app to check your voice and data balance.
How to make an overseas call:
- Dial 080-870-7899
- Follow the instructions over the line. When asked for the country prefix number, refer to the following table.
- Charges are calculated as such:
Using the EG SIM card here in Korea is a very easy affair! For more information do check out their official homepage at http://www.egsimcard.co.kr/eng/main/index.asp.